"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our Lord stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

23 January 2006

Serving a Need

John 12:26
"Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me."


In our church bulletin this past Sunday was a call for teachers and helpers with the children’s ministry. Since we are fairly new to the church, I have been thinking about a way to get more involved. The children’s ministry was certainly not first on my list as I’m just not a “kid-person”. However, I signed up anyway.

Am I a glutton for punishment? Not exactly.

The tough part about serving is thinking about the benefits of others over ourselves. While doing nursery duty or teaching the young children would not be my first choice for serving in the church, I felt it was important to offer my help where it was needed.

There are many duties that need to be fulfilled to run an effective church and sometimes that means people have to help out in areas not usually of their choosing. While it’s true that the Lord gave us each certain gifts to serve in his church, we can’t box ourselves in to only serving in those capacities. Sometimes we have to pitch in where there is a need.

4 comments:

Carol said...

You're right! I decorate the top third of the Christmas trees each year. Decorating Christmas trees isn't where I'd choose to serve. But I'm the only lady with the nerve to climb the ladder that high and who has arms long enough to reach the top. I think it's a 20-foot tree. Or maybe just 15-foot that feels like 20?

Anyway, thank you for serving where He needs you to, Carrie!

Carrie said...

Well, nursery duty isn't that difficult but there always seems to be problems finding enough people to help out. Yet as a mother of two small children, the children's ministry is a huge blessing to me. I think sometimes we have trouble seeing the importance of what seems like menial tasks.

Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin said...

May God bless you for considering the needs of others above your own. This is something I keep drilling into my six kiddos and hope I'm modeling myself.

Anonymous said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I completely agree. I didn't want to work with the age group we do for personal reasons but that's the group they had the biggest need for workers. It has turned out to be a huge blessing in our life.

it does seem that children/nursery is typically the hardest volunteer spots to fill.

Christian Women Blogging

Articles for Christian Women

Christian Women Blogs