"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our Lord stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

28 November 2005

Rock of Ages

In tribute of the great hymns of old, here is a classic. I have found that no matter how many times I have sung some of these tunes, reading the words straight out just blows me away.

Rock of Ages
Text: Augustus M. Toplady, 1740-1778
Music: Thomas Hastings, 1784-1872

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

1 comment:

Carol said...

"Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling"

Why do we always sing the first, second and last verses of hymns? The other verses have all the best lyrics.

Christian Women Blogging

Articles for Christian Women

Christian Women Blogs