"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our Lord stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

19 November 2005

Read Your Bible!

I have a concern lately that Christian literature is starting to take the place of the Bible in some believer’s lives. I seem to meet more and more Christians who emphasize reading Christian books or who have book studies in their small groups. What happen to good old-fashioned Bible study groups?

In our search for a new church, I’ve been disappointed by the number of churches that don’t have Bible study groups. Some of the churches have small group meetings, but these seem to focus more around fellowship. Now don’t get me wrong, fellowship is important, but it seems to me that there should be more of an emphasis on reading the Word in our churches today. I’m worried that the popularity of Christian literature is detracting from daily Bible reading.

Not only is the Bible God’s Word to us (absent from any author’s slant) but it often speaks to us depending on our need. You could read the same one book from the bible over and over and each time something new will pop out at you - I know it happens to me all the time. Christians should be reading their bibles daily and only then supplementing with Christian literature in my opinion. As the Apostle Paul told Timothy:

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2Tim 3:16

Knowing scripture is also very important to our evangelism efforts. I have found this out firsthand as I recently engaged with an unbeliever who was curious about my faith. I knew that there were certain scripture verses that would directly answer some of her pointed questions, and yet I could not remember the words exactly. I felt like a failure for I remembered this passage (but had to look it up):

“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Heb 4:12

Don’t underestimate the power of scripture in your life. Christian literature has its place, but that place should never be in exchange for the Bible.

1 comment:

Carol said...

As a Bible Study leader/teacher I agree wholeheartedly with your position here.

New to your blog and enjoyed this post.

Another thing that chaps my hide is when preachers habitually quote other preachers/theologians more often than they quote scripture. What's with that? Is the Bible too uninteresting/complex/old/whatever that the words of men are elevated in its stead?

Thin ice.

Christian Women Blogging

Articles for Christian Women

Christian Women Blogs