"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our Lord stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

29 October 2005

Thinking Small...

We recently moved to a new state and are trying to find a new church home. Each Sunday we visit a different church and drop our kids off at the kid’s classroom and/or nursery before heading to the service. At one of the churches we visited a few weeks ago there was a much older woman (I would say in her early 70’s) working in the infant nursery. I almost felt bad handing her my 6 month old son as she looked quite frail and he’s quite heavy, but I handed him over nonetheless.

A few weeks have gone by, and I was feeling down about my service to the Lord. As a working mother of two young children, I don’t have much time on my hands nor have I found my calling. I was thinking of missionaries and how they devote their whole lives to the Lord and was feeling small in comparison.

Then I was reminded of that older woman at the nursery. For all I know she’s been doing that for the past 20 or more years. It may not seem like much, but as a mother of young children I can tell you that it is a huge blessing to have someone at the church nursery take care of my children so I can attend service and fully concentrate on the message. And how wonderful that someone so advanced in years is still willing to roll up her sleeves and do what she can. God bless her!

So, I guess I don’t need to have “delusions of grandeur” when it comes to serving the Lord. I am still trying to figure out where I need to be in my service of the Lord, but I know that as long as I’m willing to serve him, there is no task too small and none that isn’t important enough to him.

No comments:

Christian Women Blogging

Articles for Christian Women

Christian Women Blogs