"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our Lord stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

30 October 2005

How Shalt We Dress?

As I mentioned previously, we have moved to a new area and are looking or a new church home. In the past few weeks we have visited a variety of churches, some more traditional, some more contemporary. Today we visited a more contemporary church – the kind that plays contemporary music and has a laid back dress code. It’s different than what we are used to, but we’re mainly just looking for a sound, biblical church.

One thing I have noticed in these contemporary churches is that there are a lot of people in their late teens, early twenties. We actually attended a contemporary church for about a year a few years ago but soon found ourselves “lost”. But that’s another story for another day. Anyway, it’s been my experience that all these young people are attracted by the more contemporary worship which is great, but I consistently see what I consider to be in appropriate dress for Christians. It’s basically the current trend of low rise pants and short/tight shirts with basically a lot of skin showing. How has this become acceptable?

I don’t have all my passages lined up, but I did find 1 Timothy 2:9,

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,

Of course, here Paul is talking against ornate dressing that probably was the fashion of the time, but I think the idea of “modestly and discreetly” is still applicable. Wearing revealing clothing just isn’t appropriate for a Christian woman of any age. Can anyone argue that?

I guess this inappropriate dress by our young women has me very concerned about what we are teaching our children both as parents and as a church. In an attempt to bring people into the church, have we let too much of the “world” in? I hope not.

No comments:

Christian Women Blogging

Articles for Christian Women

Christian Women Blogs